A Step A Time

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Lao Zi

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Back In Singapore...

... And not so loving it.

At the risk of sounding like some whiny little idiot, I'll have to say that living in Australia trumps Singapore easily.

The weather for one is an absolute delight! Low humidity and nice, cold seasons are definitely more appealing than the sticky feeling I always get when I'm here. Best of all, Aussies save on Air Con bills.

Something else I noticed was that Singaporeans are nowhere as polite and courteous as Aussies.

In my short stay there, I've grown accustommed to throwing around Thank You and smiles liberally. Of course you might argue that something given so freely is probably not as sincere as something more rare - but it's really hard to dispute the nice feeling you get from the cashier greeting you and you reciprocating.

Over here, all I get are weird stares from the waiters when I say Thanks. And Confucius came from China. Something must've went missing between then and now.

Sigh. This really stinks.

A place that I've lived in for a mere 9 months is giving me a better impression of it than somewhere I've grown up and made my best friends in. Perhaps it's time for most of us to take a look around and open our eyes - the society we live in isn't as perfect as the government here claims.

Well, I'm gonna have to stop this before it turns into another political rant. Surely I've used up my sedition quota by now.

In the meanwhile, I'll just make do with what I can here and hope to return to good ol' Melbourne soon.

Family and friends make things much easier. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home